Thursday, February 26, 2009

Million Dollar Feet

Okay, so I've had all kinds of trouble with my Hepworth feet. They just HURT when I run. I've been injured on and off since I ever stepped foot in running shoes. A couple months ago I finally went to a podiatrist. He made me some custom orthotics. I was really nervous because I am signed up for this IronMan in April, and it hurt every time I ran. But, I HAD to run in order to be ready for my race. I chose NOT to run because it hurt too bad. The orthotics were supposed to take 2 weeks to get here, but mine ended up taking 4! By that time I should have been running at the very least a 10 mile long run. Well, the orthotics finally came, and the other women doing the race were up to a 12 mile long run. I decided to go for broke and run as far as I could to just see if I could.

I seriously didn't think I'd be able to finish the run. The race has a very generous time limit, and I thought I probably wouldn't make it but I'd at least try. Well, the first week after I got the orthotics I made it 8 miles. My feet felt GOOD! The next week I made it 10 miles. My feet felt WONDERFUL! This week I made it 10 miles. My feet felt like A MILLION BUCKS!

Next week I'm going to push my luck and run 12, then 13 the next. After that I'll taper my running down until race day. I can't even begin to tell you how excited I am about this. I'M GOING TO FINISH THE RACE! I am so motivated right now...probably more so than I have ever been. Slow, but motivated nonetheless.

3 comments:

Lolene said...

Sarah, I'm excited that the orthotics worked for you. I had some a few years ago...and I ended up never wearing them because they bugged me. Yours must be better than my olden day ones. Keep posting, girl. I love your posts!

Nan said...

That is great that you could do something about your feet. You know, when your feet hurt, then your back hurts, and everything just feels wrong. I hope the orthotics continue to work for you.

JoAnna said...

You just keep giving me hope. Yesterday I worked out and did calf raises and it actually hurt the arches in my feet more than anything....I thought, I am going to have to bite the bullet like Sarah and go get it checked out. This post made me really think it. I told you I thought that you would be able finish, that is just you. I am glad you will be able to do it without pain....well, in your feet at least.