Wednesday, December 8, 2010

OCD

Ok, so I'm talking about Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. No, I haven't been diagnosed, but I have this theory that it's human nature to be obsessive about things. Some people are obsessed about their looks, while others may be obsessed about germs. I know it is extreme for some people and it really is a hard thing for them, but I do think that obsessing is part of our "natural man".

I was thinking about my obsession this morning as I was folding laundry. I am OCD about laundry. When I wash, I have to wash everything. I will scour the house, looking under beds, in the car. Every towel that is out, even the kids shoes are not safe. I have to do my laundry all in one day because I have to have it all done at once. And if I don't get it done that day I restart the whole routine the next morning to get everything again.

Now let's talk about folding. Everything must be folded just right. Corners lined up, and the hem of shirts must not be folded up. And the kids have to put their laundry away NICELY so as not to mess up my work of art!

I love everything about laundry: the smell, the whir of the washer, and the feel of warm clothes fresh out of the dryer. I love clean sheets. I love to do laundry!

I realize I probably sound like a nut job right now, but my point is that we all have SOMETHING we obsess over. I wanna know what yours is! Spill it!

My sister's name is Teala, and her husband calls her O-C-Deala. She is obsessive about vacuuming. She loves the lines the vacuum makes in her carpet. You can be in the middle of a conversation with someone and the next thing you know, she has the vacuum running between you. The time of day doesn't matter either. The woman LOVES to vacuum.

I think obsessing is our way of controlling something in our lives. And I don't think people who are obsessive about things hold other people to their expectations. I don't think other people should fold laundry like I do, and my sister could care less if I have vacuum lines in my carpet. Humans are weird creatures. We're a bunch of animals!

4 comments:

Becca Queen of Chaos said...

Recording my kids lives. Not like camcorder - but I blog, and I print them one for each year that they can take with them when they grow up. Then I have a scrapbook, just for me. And a lifebook of only the major life stuff. Too much.

Danelle said...

If you walked into my house on any given day, you would see dozens of minor disasters in plain view, but if you opened ANY of my cupboards, drawers, or closets you would find order and organization. I am OCD about what's behind closed doors...most of the time. :)

PS...Laundry is also MY favorite household chore. I'm not as good at it as you are, though.

meagan said...

I honestly don't think I have one... maybe that's why I never finish anything. I should take this OCD thing more serious! I need an obsession!

The Buzz said...

I love OCD people.